Thursday, September 01, 2005

My Commute. My Comrade.

I spent my first 8 years in the work force commuting in and out of downtown Chicago from the suburbs. It was a 1 hour and 30 minute commute each way that included driving my car to the train station, taking the train in to downtown, and then walking approx. 12 city blocks to the office. People clipped their fingernails on the train. I'd stand outside in 5-10 degree, or 100 degree super-humid weather waiting for a train. In a shirt and tie. I'd consume lungloads of train exhaust in Union Station as I'd run, in dress shoes, to catch trains. I lumbered down city sidewalks surrounded by corporate cocksmacks. I had a miserable fucking commute, and my weekdays were nothing but working and commuting. So fast forward to my commute of the past three years (pictured above is a snapshot on my drive back up the canyon this evening). I find myself driving below the speed limit every day, by myself, on this windy little Canyon Road. Super duper peaceful and beautiful! If someone pulls up behind me, I pull over and let them pass. It's a long, long, long way from the hassles and commute of the big city. Yes!