Thursday, September 14, 2006

Doug Martsch & Brett Netson street performance

I've been checking out live Built To Spill shows in small venues since somewhere around 1994. Doug Martsch, the mastermind front man of the band, is what a "rock star" is meant to be - incredible instrumental/vocal talent, zero faux attitude, creative, and no bullshit posturing.

BTS shows have consistently been the most driving, sincere live performances I've seen over the years. My first BTS show was at The Metro in Chicago where I watched/listened to Martsch get lost in a guitar solo that lasted well over 20 minutes. The less than faithful and patient walked out. Two months ago I saw them at The Fox Theatre in Boulder. It was a sold out show, so Martsch and Brett Netson gave an impromptu 30 minute street performance for those that didn't have tickets. And I was lucky enough to have walked up at the right time. This is one of my favorite live music moments ever.